I love using essential oils and when something pops up in my or my families lives the first thing I do is find a way to use essential oils to make our life better. One of the ways I have found to incorporate essential oils into our lives is supporting healthy sleep.
Essential oils can help calm feelings of being anxious, exhaustion, and help unwind your mind when it seems like you can’t stop the thought process from running constantly.
Here’s my top essential oils for supporting healthy sleep in our house:
- Lavender Essential Oil – known for it’s relaxing and calming effects of the body
- Frankincense Essential Oil – supports the body for healthy sleep, balancing emotions, calming the mind and the body’s natural response to healing
- Cedarwood Essential Oil – supports the healthy function of the pineal glands (releases melatonin, the body’s natural sleep hormone)
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil – supports balancing the body’s energy, focus, and restoring peace
- Marjoram Essential Oil – supports the relaxation of the nerves
- Vetiver Essential Oil – supports the body’s psychological grounding and stabilization
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil – supports the body in relaxation when the body feels restless and anxious
Ways to use essential oils for supporting sleep.
If you are applying essential oils on a child, please reference our dilution chart below. I normally, on children age 1 and above, take 1-3 drops of the essential oils and mix with 1 tsp of the carrier oil of your choice. Adults, mix 1-3 drops of the essential oils and mix with 1-3 drops of the carrier oil of your choice. Apply the essential oils to the bottom of the feet, inside the wrists, and the back of the neck. Allow 1-2 minutes for the oils to be absorbed. Take any leftover oils and rub it between your hands, cup your hands over your hose and inhale!
I make 10 ml rollers with my essential oils (see recipe below) and apply to the bottom of the feet, inside the wrists, and the back of the neck.
Put the oils in the palm of one hand, rub the hands together, cup over your nose and inhale. I also use a diffuser in every room of our home with essential oils in them. I usually set the diffuser to intermittent mode so it runs for a few minutes, shuts off and starts again. They run longer this way. 🙂
Sound Sleep Essential Oil Roller Recipe
In a 10-ml roller bottle place each of the essential oils and top off with the Carrier Oil of your choice. I roll it on the bottom of each big toe, on each wrists and the top of my spine.