The scent of Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) essential oil is a wonderful blend of fresh, floral, clean, and calm. The dynamic aroma of lavender essential oil has made the flower a classic for perfumes, soaps, fresheners, and beauty products. Lavender oil is one of Young LIving’s most popular products and is a great beginner oil and a must for every home. It takes approximately 27 sq feet of lavender plants to create one 15-ml bottle of essential oil. Lavender essential oil is highly versatile. It is used in skin care products to relaxing routines, this oil can infuse many areas of your life. Young Living’s Lavender oil in blends such as Stress Away™, Harmony™, RutaVaLa™, Tranquil™, and Forgiveness™. “The French scientist René-Maurice Gattefossé was the first to discover lavender’s ability to promote tissue regeneration and speed wound healing when he severely burned his arm in a laboratory explosion. Today, lavender is one of the few essential oils to still be listed in the British Pharmacopoeia.” (Young, 120) Lavender essential oils’ plant origin is from Utah, Idaho, and France. The extraction Method is steam distilled from flowering top. It’s ORAC value is 360 µTE/100g.
The fragrant influence of lavender essential oil are:
- calming, relaxing, and balancing, both physically and emotionally
- helps to improve concentration and mental acuity “University of Miami researchers found that inhalation of lavender oil increased beta waves in the brain, suggesting heightened relaxation. It also reduced depression and improved cognitive performance (Diego MA, et al., 1998(, A 2001 Osaka Kyoiku University study found that lavender reduced mental stress and increased alertness (Motomura, 2001). (Young,120)
Lavender Essential Oil Uses
- Relax in a spa-like atmosphere by combining 1 cup of Epsom slat and 4 drops of lavender essential oil to a hot tub bath.
- Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to you shampoo, conditioner, lotions, and skin care products for a well-loved aroma.
- Need to unwind? Add lavender essential oil to a neck or back massage.
- You can make a homemade body scrub with sugar, coconut oil, and lavender essential oil.
- Need to get rid of stale orders? Create a room freshener with lavender essential oils and water in a spray bottle or you can diffuse it in the room.
- Need a good night’s sleep? Rub lavender essential oil on the bottom of your feet before going to bed, make a spritzer bottle and spray your pillows with water and lavender essential oil.
- Having a rough day and need to calm down? In your cupped hands, drop 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil and inhale to draw the scent into your amygdala gland (the emotional part of your brain) to calm your mind.
- Lavender essential oil is great for bee or insect stings/bites. Put a few drops on the sting/bite and rub it in to help stop itching and reduce swelling.
- For minor burns, put 2-3 drops of Lavender essential oil in the burn and rub it in to help decrease the pain. It helps in healing the burn, reduces the swelling and helps with the redness.
- For minor cuts, Lavender essential oil can help in stopping the bleeding, cleaning the wound and killing any bacteria. Put 2-3 drops of Lavender essential oil in the cut.
- To help alleviate the symptoms of motion sickness or nausea, place a drop of Lavender essential oil o the end of your tongue, behind the ears and around your navel.
- To help with dry or chapped skin, chapped or sunburned lips, rub a drop of lavender oil on your skin.
- To help with cold sores, rub a drop of lavender oil on your skin.
- Allergy season is the time when hay fever is at it’s worst. Drop 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil in your cupped hands and inhale to help alleviate the symptoms of hay fever.
- Diffuse lavender essential oil alone to enjoy it’s signature floral scent or pair it with a myriad of other oils (Cedarwood, Frankincense, Ylang Ylang, Tea Tree, and/or Lemon.
Works Cited: Young, Gary. Essential Oils Desk Reference.6th ed. Lehi: Life Science Publishing, 2014. Print.
Disclaimer: I am an Independent Distributor of Young Living and the information on this website is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, treat or cure any disease, illness, or condition, and should not be used as a substitute for seeking professional medical care and advice. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This information is intended for educational purposes only. The testimonials, research, and information within applies only to Young Living Essential Oils and I make no representations as to accuracy, completeness, timeliness, suitability, or validity of any information presented by individual authors and/or users on our pages and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. If you have a medical condition, a disease, or are using a prescription medication, it s recommended that you consult with a health professional (preferably one who has experience with essential oils), the prescribing physician, and a pharmacist about potential interactions between your medication(s) and the essential oil(s). The information I provide on this website is in no way meant to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease, it is just meant to discuss what I have chosen to do or have done in my life and my family’s lives to take control of our personal health. Please contact me with any questions you may have!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: To be able to continue supporting the blogging activities on this website, we may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for the endorsements or recommendations to any products or services from this site. We are an affiliate of Amazon.com and links we provide out to Amazon.com are affiliate links and we will receive a very small commission on anything your purchase within 24 hours of clicking on one of our links. We also use Google Adsense and will receive a very small commission just for you clicking on one of their ads (you do not have to purchase anything from the Google Ad, just click on it 🙂 ) Thanks for all your support.