Young Living’s Peppermint essential oil’s (Mentha piperita) scent invigorates the senses and mind. It inspires a sense of peace, calming and positivity.
The fragrant influences of Peppermint essential oil are: “Purifying and stimulating to the conscious mind. Research indicates that peppermint aroma, inhaled during mental tasks, may help attention, performance, and focus (Barker, et al., 2003). Peppermint may also be an effective appetite suppressant when inhaled (Hirsch and Gomez, 1995). University of Kiel researchers found that peppermint lessened headache pain in a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study.” (Young, 147)
It’s botanical family is Lamiaceae and it’s plant origin is North America, Mediterranean area, and Great Britain.
The extraction method used is steam distilled from leaves and stems. It’s ORAC value is 37,300 µTE/100g.
The historical data on Peppermint essential oil is: “Peppermint is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for soothing digestion. Jean Valnet, MD, studied peppermint’s effect on the liver and respiratory systems. Alan Hirsch, MD, studied peppermint’s ability to directly affect the brain’s satiety center (the ventromecdical nucleus of the hypothalamus), which triggers a sensation of fullness after meals. A highly regarded digestive stimulant.” (Young, 147)
Peppermint essential oil’s uses are:
- respiratory infections (pneumonia, tubeerculosis, ect.)
- viral infections (herpes simplex, herpes zoster, cold sores, and human papilloma virus, etc.)
- fungal infections/Candida
- digestive problems
- skin conditions (itchy skin, vericose venin, eczema, psoriasis, dermatitus), scoliosis/lumbargo/back problems
Peppermint essential oil can be found in the following Young Living’s essential oil blends:
- Aroma Ease
- Aroma Siez
- Relive It
- Deep Relief Roll-On
- AromaGuard Mountain Mint Deodorant,
- Breathe Again Roll-On
- Cinnamint Lip Balm
- CortiStop Women’s
- Digest & Clense
- Einkorn Nuggets
- KidScents Mighytzyme
- Ortho Ease Massage Oil
- Ortho Sport
- Progressive Plus
- Prostate Health
- Relieve It
- Slique Gum
- Thieves Aroma Bright Toothpaste
- Thieves Dental Floss
- Thieves Dentromone Pluss Toothpaste
- Thieves Dentradome Ultra Toothpaste
- Thieves Fresh Essence Plus Mouthwash
- Thieves Lozenges
- Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier
The uses of Peppermint essential oil are:
- Dilute a few drops of Peppermint essential oil with a carrier oil. Massage it in for a refreshing massage after a tough workout.
- Inhale directly
- Take as a dietary supplement
Caution: “Avoid contact with eyes, mucus membranes, sensitive skin, or fresh wounds or burns. Do not apply on infants younger than 18 months of age.” (Young, 147)
NOTE: If you are using essential oils on a child, please refer the the dilution chart below!
Young, Gary. Essential Oils Desk Reference.6th ed. Lehi: Life Science Publishing, 2014. Print.