When you have used up all the oils in your essential oil bottle, don’t throw the bottle away! There are many ways to “reuse” the empty essential oils bottles. Here’s how I clean and reuse my empty bottles. I take a glass jar (at least a 1/2 gallon sized jar) with a tight sealing lid, and pour Epsom Salts till the jar is about 1/2 full of Epsom Salts. I take the cap and the plastic orifice off the empty essential oils bottle and put them in the jar of Epsom Salts. Next, I take the empty essential oils bottle and dip it in the Epsom Salts so the inside is covered in it and put it down in the jar. I repeat this with each empty bottle. I replace the airtight lid on the jar and flip the jar several times to make sure everything is covered in Epsom Salts. I let this sit a day or so to make sure all the oils have been absorbed by the Epsom Salts.
I make up a sink of hot soapy water (or you can use a glass bowl or stainless still bowl). I remove all the caps and plastic orifices and put in the soapy water. I take each empty essential oil bottle and shake all the Epsom Salts off it back into the jar of Epsom Salts. I remove the labels from the empty bottles and place them in the hot soapy water. I let everything soak for at least 12 hours in the hot soapy water.
I use the essential oil enriched Epsom Salts for luscious baths later (best tip of all)!
I drain off all the soapy water and rinse everything in hot water and place it all on a towel to dry. If there is any leftover sticky residue still on the bottles from the labels, put a few drops of Lemon essential oil on a cotton ball and rub off the excess sticky residue. I usually let them air dry for about 24 hours. I then put them in a basket to be reused at a later time.
What You Can Do With Clean Essential Oil Bottles
When reusing your essential oil bottles, don’t forget to label them so you know what’s in them. 🙂
- You can create your own blends for your diffusers.
- Make your own roll-on recipe with them. If you use Young Living oils, you can purchase the AromaGlide Roller Fitments to put on the empty bottles.
- Create a travel kit with your “must have” essential oils and blends.
- Create mini spays with your “special blends“. You can purchase spray tops to fit 5 ml and 15 ml bottles. The 5 ml makes a great spray bottle to carry in your purse.
- Create room sprays for each room of your house. You can purchase spray tops to fit 5 ml and 15 ml bottles.
- Create a “carrier oil” bottle to keep in your purse.
- Create your own signature cologne or perfume. You can purchase spray tops to fit 5 ml and 15 ml bottles.
- Create your child his/her own special oils (diluted for their age).
- Use them to “share” your favorite oils and blends with friends, family and strangers.
- Create your own special “face toner”. You can purchase spray tops to fit 5 ml and 15 ml bottles.
- Create a “special” pillow spray to help you fall asleep faster. You can purchase spray tops to fit 5 ml and 15 ml bottles.